Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Horses With Hearts Awards Banquet 2008

Last night Chance, and all the other riders in Horses With Hearts, were recognized for their accomplishments. It was a wonderful evening, celebrating diversity and volunteerism. We had a fantastic dinner and enjoyed watching each child and adult with special needs accept their trophees and share in their excitement. Chance was particularly proud and just couldn't wait to get up on stage. I couldn't believe it. I thought he'd be resistant, but he just about ran up to the stairs of the stage, calmly walked up and accepted his trophee. I wasn't sure if he was going to throw it in excitement or not, so I kept a close hand, but he did great. I prompted him to say thank you in sign language and I thought maybe he would use his device to say something into the microphone to the audience, but instead, he leaned into the microphone and let out a huge cheerful squeal! It was super funny and the crowd erupted in cheer and clapping. What a special moment. I've already put up a shelf in Chance's room for his trophee and I have big plans for redecorating his room with all horse stuff. He just loves the horses and is so proud to be a part of it!

Horses With Hearts has over 40 volunteers and a faith-centered vision. It was truly a pleasure for all of us to watch Chance ride each week and he was so proud. He just loves the horses and the people and I know each year he will continue to be blessed by this wonderful program. Visit their website for more information http://www.horseswithhearts.com/



No comments: